- 2 large egg whites
- ½ tsp (2 mL) white vinegar
- ½ cup (125 mL) sugar
- 6 fresh apricots, pitted and cut into 8 wedges
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) apricot jam
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
1½ cups (375 mL) whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 250ºF (120ºC).
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
3. For meringue, whip egg whites and vinegar until foamy, then gradually add sugar. Whip whites until they hold a stiff peak when beaters are lifted. Spread meringue onto prepared baking tray and bake for about 40 minutes, until dry. Cool and store at room temperature.
4. For apricots, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer, uncovered, until fruits are tender, about 10 minutes. Cool, then chill completely.
5. For fool, whip cream to stiff peaks immediately before serving. Gently fold in apricot mixture. Crumble in meringue and spoon into parfait glasses or other serving dishes.
Serves 6 to 8 (depending on size of serving dishes)
Recipe from: http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=1&action=recipe&recipeID=3150